The history of the castle goes through three phases.
The first is the Medieval phase, when the rock was the
centre of the Ceccano's counts dominion, which enclosed the two
opposite Lepini's mountainsides. In this period the castle owned
the keep, the Palatium and the Turris picta.
The second phase is linked to the
the dominion of the Colonna family which started in
1523. In this period the rock was turned into a jail and
it hosted a General Hearer who managed the dominion. In
1734 Fabrizio Colonna decided to trasfer the Law Court from Pofi to
Ceccano and in this circumstance a structure of two floors
was added to the castle.
In the third phase the architect Antonio Cipolla directed the
works of reparation which conferred to the castle a neogothic
façade and a crenellated bench. The last floor was converted to a
place of residence and the buildings situated on the right of the
courtyard come from this period.
In 1973 the jail was closed and the castle was abandoned for 30
years. In 1993 the Municipality of Ceccano bought it at an
The Municipality, according to the the new reparation works,
decided to break down all the buildings which had got no affinity
with the primary structure. The primary façades were maintened to
allow a good reconstruction of the three phases: Medieval castle,
Colonna's castle and the 19th century dome. These
works were the centre of a lot of controversies because the
Municipality did not rebuild the 19th century crenellations.