Destroyed monuments and churches

PALAZZO BERARDI  (BERARDI'S PALACE)
This is a very large palace once belonged to the marquis Filippo Berardi, a very appreciated personality and one of the main characters of this town's history. He gave a blend of modernity to Ceccano, building the railway station, some factories, schools and aqueducts. Also known as "Villa Berardi", the building was finished in 1862 by the architect Antonio Cipolla, who took care of the renovation and the gothic embellishment of the counts' castle.

In the late 1800s, Berardi's Palace must have looked very suggestive: the elegant Residential Villa with its gorgeous tropical gardens was situated on the left side of the palace while on the ends of the river Sacco bridge, two lion statues made of brass were built. On the end of the square there was also the marvelous big Dolphins Fountain. After the bombardment made by the American troops during the 2nd World War, the very little remained of this palace was also blown away by the mines put by the German military army. The lion statues were stolen but instead the remains of the Dolphins Fountain were recovered only in the first years of the second millennium and they were placed on the side entrance of the town's Villa (Villa Comunale).

The Villa Berardi area is now occupied by two modern buildings.

 

CHIESA DI SAN PIETRO (St. PETER'S CHURCH)

The presence of a Saint Peter dedicated church in Ceccano can be verified since the Medieval period.  This church was built in the beginning of the 12th century inside the
town's walls and it was entrusted to the Montecassino monks. Very little is known about this building's history, but some sources deal with its destruction in 1781 due to unknown matters. It was built up again few years later. This narrow and tall church presented a squared bell tower on the right side and a sober front, with a little rectangle window on the top of it. On the lower side there was an entrance door with three semi-circular steps made of marble and an aedicule. There were also two big pink marble columns which anticipated the single nave inside the church.

The building was damaged by the bombardments on the 3rd of November, 1943 and it was then destroyed in May, 1944. When the war was over, the church was built again in the "Cantinella" area, which was located outside the urban walls and didn't have a church yet. The new structure presents a painting of the apostle Peter with an overview of Ceccano behind him.

In the place where the old church rose is now located a monument which celebrates the bombardment's deaths. Leaning out of this place you can see some rests of the foundations and a part of the ancient Fabrateria walls.

Next to this church there was the homonymous entrance door of the ancient walls, maybe the most important among all, because it pointed towards Rome. After being damaged by the bombardments, it was then demolished in the 80's.


PORTA ABBASSO (ABBASSO DOOR)

This was the ancient entrance door to the medieval Ceccano and it was located in the homonymous street which leaded to the lower part of the town.
This door was made on a self-defense purpose for it's situated on a climb and it's protected by a rock wall on one side. 

Porta Abbasso  was destroyed by the american bombardments during the 2nd World War.

 

CHIESA DI SANTO STEFANO (St. STEPHAN'S CHURCH)

This is an ancient medieval church built on the homonymous hill. In the 19th century it was left abandoned and closed. This building was demolished during the 20th century and its stones were used to build the San Giovanni (Saint John) building. During the 30's the holy place has been used to raise up the town's water tank.

 


 CHIESA DI SANT'ANGELO (St. ANGELO'S CHURCH)

This church was built after the destruction of the homonymous church which was located out of the city walls. The new building was situated in front of Bovieri's palace, near St. Peter's church. It was nominated abbey during the centuries, then it was left abandoned and later it has finally been destroyed.

 


CHIESETTA DI SANT'ANTONIO (St. ANTONY'S CHURCH)

This was a small medieval church which also had a nursing home inside of it. It was established by the Antonian friars inside the city walls, in the "Cauto" zone. Nowadays, this church has left no track of its presence but it can be found on the St. Antony road's map.

 

 

CHIESA DI SAN MARTINO (St. MARTIN'S CHURCH)

This medieval church rose on the lower side of the town and there's very little left of it. Among the rests of this building there are the slabs of the basement, which lean under another construction, and the Borgo San Martino's map.

 


CHIESA DI SAN QUINZIANO (St. QUINZIANO'S CHURCH)

Being built in the medieval period, this church was located in the St. Peter zone. The only rest of it can be found on the St. Quinziano road's map.

 

 

CHIESA DI SAN GIACOMO (St. JAMES' CHURCH)

This church was built during the medieval era and it's located on the Sacco's bank. It was consecrated by count Giovanni I De Ceccano in 1209 as an acknowledgement to the Virgin Mary for the successful outcome of the trip to Santiago de Compostela, taken by his mother, Lady Egidia. The holy building, which depended on Santa Maria a Fiume's parish, was destroyed over the centuries.  The basements were found during the construction, in the 19th century, of the river Sacco's new bridge, as you can find out on an ancient picture took shortly after. Nowadays it's still worshiped in Santa Maria a Fiume's cult and during the annual exhibition, on the 23rd of August.  

Contents

1699